What To Do Following A Car Crash
It is easy to lose patience and be angry after an accident. We recommend you to keep calm and follow the steps mentioned in the next guide. And since car insurance can help you pay for bodily and property damage, it is wise to get auto insurance quotes online and apply for the best coverage. Here is what you should do following a car crash:
- Remain at the site of the accident. Do not run after an accident, even if you consider it being very minor. Being accused of a hit-and-run accident will have unpleasant financia and legal consequences.
- Protect the scene of the crash. Make sure that no one interferes with the evidences. Also, make sure to signal that this is the scene of an accident. If the accident happened at night, set up flares or use a flashlight to signal. In this way, you can prevent further accidents.
- Call the police. After you and others are safe, you should call the police. You may need a police report to file a claim with your insurance company. You will also need authorities’ help to determine who the at-fault party is and mention it in the report.
- Provide accurate information. Make sure you tell the investigating officers exactly what happened, to the best of your ability and memory. If you do not know certain facts, tell that to the officer. Do not speculate, guess or misstate the facts. If you are asked if you are injured and you are not sure, say you are not sure, rather than no. Often, the pain and injuries from motor vehicle accidents become apparent hours after the actual collision. Also check the accuracy of statements provided by other involved persons and witnesses.
- Take pictures and exchange info. You will need many info and pictures to properly record the accident and present it to the police and insurance company. If possible, exchange info and insurance data with the other involved driver.
- Call the insurance company. After you have a police report and sufficient info, contact your insurance provider and discuss further steps.
Visit us for more info and free car insurance quotes. Check our website!